VIN Scanner

When I started working at VIP Traders my job was to organize paperwork into folders. I would eventually transition into writing software to automate large portions of mine and others jobs, and the first step in that transition was an Android app.

I noticed that my coworkers were having to walk around our parking lot writing down the VIN numbers of the cars on a piece of paper, and then typing them into a spreadsheet. If that isn’t a prime candidate for automation, then I don’t know what is. So I wrote a demo project at home, and presented it to the CEO. They agreed that it would be an improvement, and I was reassigned from filing to software development. As per their requested specs, the app scans a VIN barcode, and allows the user to submit all the scanned VINs to a new Google Sheets spreadsheet. Pretty nifty.

Point the camera at a bar code

The code is scanned and data is entered by the user

Data is submitted to a spreadsheet

While I was working on the app, I noticed another coworker importing photos from a camera, and renaming the files after the VIN, which he was typing in manually for each vehicle. So I extended the app to run on the companies Samsung Galaxy Cam 2’s and added a feature for capturing and storing photos.
Once a VIN has been scanned in, a button becomes available that leads to a page that prompts the user to take the photos they are supposed to take. The photos are saved to the camera and are named with a naming convention based off of the VIN.

This was a very fun project for me to develop as it really pushed the boundaries of abilities. I learned a ton about Android app development, and “invented” what I would later learn are called asynchronous callbacks. At the time, I called them “Post Execution Runnables”.

final CreateSpreadsheetTask task = new CreateSpreadsheetTask(sheetName.getText().toString(), context);
task.setPostExecuteRunnable(new Runnable() {
@Override
public void run() {
if (task.suceeded()) {
//Do stuff
} else {
Toast.makeText(context, "Could not create spreadsheet", Toast.LENGTH_LONG).show();
}
}
});
task.execute();

I thought this solution was very cool and was not at all surprised to find that its a not a new idea in the slightest.

Special thanks to bees4honey for providing the open source VIN scanning C library needed to scan in VIN barcodes.
Unfortunately, I cannot share a link to the GitHub repository for the project, as it contains sensitive information for the company.